How to create a faux distressed look for $4.99!

Click on the image to enlarge:

Hey guys, well I'm here to show you how you can create a faux distressed look on any moulding for only $4.99.
This morning I was browsing the web before church and I ran across a blog that had an image of a distressed framed mirror and I thought the look would be perfect for one of the mirrors I just framed out using the steps seen HERE from a previous post.
The mirror is almost 9 feet long and Lowes didn't carry wood moulding of the width that I needed to frame it out so we had to buy primed moulding which meant I couldn't stain it the dark color I wanted... bummer... so instead we just painted it the same color as the rest of the trim in the house.
Since we completed the project I just look at it an it's a total snooze! I hate that it's so plain, SO when I saw the distressed mirror this morning I thought - That's it! that's how I'll spice it up.
So after church we went over to heaven (AKA Michael's craft supply store) and I purchased this little container of Distress Ink in "frayed burlap".



To apply the ink, all you do is press the ink pad to the top of the moulding, then with EVEN pressure and in ONE stroke go down the moulding in sections to apply the ink.


(if you start and stop or adjust the pressure it will show breaks in the line and look messy).

The finished look up close:

I love how even after 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of paint the ink still picks up the grain of the wood.



The best part about this product is that it wipes right off if you mess up. I think I must have wiped off my first 20 or so attempts until I found out what pressure worked best for the look I was going for. Total time for this project was about 10 minutes for a 9X4 frame. So easy, so cheap, and no sanding required!

Comments

Popular Posts